23 Things I've learned since turning 23

Honestly ya'll, it seems like adulthood is smacking me upside my head. I'm looking back at my life and saying things like 'when did I get this old.'
 When I was 21 and the phrase "ugh, I'm old" came out of my mouth People would look at me crazy and vehemently disagree.
Now...they don't.
They just sort of nod in sad agreement.
But this isn't a pity party, I'm embracing my age and ultimately I'm embracing the life lessons I'm learning even in this tender season.
I wanted to do a fun post, but also 'serious' in the sense that these really are things that I've learned and am learning.

So without further ado...below are 23 things I've learned in my 23 years of life.


1. Forgive easily, forget quickly

I know the old saying is 'forgive, but never forget' But Lordy, Jesus knows what He's been through with me. I can't even remember all the times I've hurt God, and ran back, and time and time again..He has forgiven me. I try now to extend the same grace to others because I know there may be a time where I need it too.

2. Travel...a lot
Expand your horizons, see new things, places and people. I'll link two awesome articles below on traveling on a budget/while young. You may not always have this opportunity.
Traveling for millennials
Heather's travel tips

3.Take a ton of pictures
Not just for instagram..or facebook or on snapchat, but in life. You'll be 80 one day and your memory may need the extra boost. Honestly sometimes in the moment I might not appreciate things as much, but weeks later...I'll scroll through my pictures and smile.

4.Guard your heart, fiercely
Stop sleeping with everybody..or anybody. Stop giving out your number to random men or women. BE CHOOSY and selective with whom you share your heart with. Not every man or woman(for the guys) that slides in your DMs needs to have your number. So choose wisely.

5. Praying is the plug
I'm not talking about praying over the food you're about to eat...or on Sunday during service..I'm talking about interceding on your family's behalf. I'm talking about laying out before God instead of talking to man about your problems...I'm talking about literally conversing with your creator about the small things and the big things.

6.Cherish the moments you spend with family (especially your parents)
Death is inevitable..and one day these people won't be on earth anymore. Find out your family history, dig into your roots...figure out why you are the way you are. Then pray about it.

7.Death happens, to all of us

Someone can be here today, and gone tomorrow. A relationship with Jesus is the only guarantee to eternal life.

8.Get things right the first time.

Stop going around the same mountain over and over again. If God told you to do something...obey, quickly. Nothing screams regret like 40 years of the wilderness because you lacked faith the first time. (Think the children of Israel)

9.Be grateful...for everything

Ultimately, you don't deserve anything that is given to you. Someone had to make a way so that you could have everything you have. A grateful heart makes life worth living, don't live under entitlement because it can truly be here today and gone tomorrow. Thank those around you for all they do.

10. Be kind, even when it's hard and you don't want to.
That means be kind to those that are rude to you, the ones that talk about you, those that hate you. Why? Because your behavior is a manifestation of your character and nothing else. So love those that hate you. I know we may joke about things like #shade or #teampetty, but...ultimately, I want God to look at my heart and say 'Wow, that's a woman after me'

11.Try new things all the time
Be adventurous, how can you discover if you like something...if you've never tried it?

12.Do what God is calling you to do, not what man has told you to do.
This one is the most difficult for me, but don't be seduced by the security of the world. What God has called you to do, He will equip you to accomplish and He will justify you until completion. Trust God...not your emotions nor circumstances.

13.Read, everything.
Read Fiction, nonfiction, biographies. Increase your intellect and expand your knowledge. I hope it goes without saying but: don't read anything that will corrupt your mind or that is contrary to the word of God, use the Holy Spirit for conviction.

14. Trust God
He.Is.Always.Right

15.Your friends will change

Some people are in your life for a season and a reason. Some people are there forever. Appreciate them for that, and know that it's okay

16. One day it will be your turn
You will graduate. You will get married. You will be the one with the announcement for a child. Remember there's a season for everyone

17. It can happen to you.
Be careful about the judgments and the condemnation you throw on others. Good and bad things happen to the just and the unjust alike. Those things you say will never happen to you, can...and may.

18. Share your testimony. Often.

You don't know who needs to know that you're a mess too and God saved you. You don't know whose life you're impacting by simply speaking your truth.

19. Hold steadfast to your foundation
It's okay to know what right and wrong is. Do not conform to this world and bend to every change of the wind. Know what you believe and stand on it.

20.Wise Counsel is not a substitute for God.
I know your mama, pastor and em' usually know exactly what you should do...but God knows more. If you have a relationship with Christ, listen to his voice before any other.

21.Just because it looks fun...doesn't mean it is.
Don't let the snapchats and the wild pictures fool you. Being drunk, wild party, drugs...they're void fillers. They may look fun for the moment, but I promise you the emptiness will and does return. Chose Christ, no matter how hard.

22. Tomorrow is a new day
No matter how bad today looks or feels...Know it will get better, there is a rainbow on the otherside of the storm.

23. Trust God

Trust Him. Trust Him. In everything, for everything.

All my love,
Obioma
Looks for a wedding!

Adulting with my mama :)

No comments