Brokeness - Rock your bandages



I struggle with control.

I love to be in charge of the situations in my life. I like being able to command my course. To be honest, following Jesus was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. Not because I had to give up sin, but because I couldn’t steer my own ship anymore.

Prior to Christ, I always dictated how my life went.  I was able to plan and see the fruit of those plans, Then I chose salvation, and my life took a turn for the unpredictable. I had to trust an invisible God to direct me towards a path I’d never been down. I had to trust He knew where He was going, even when I couldn’t see Him.

One of the consequences of letting Christ dictate my life was allowing Him to use my brokenness. My brokenness being the areas in life I don’t always get right. The areas in life that are ugly, sad, mean, unqualified, the areas I’d rather allude to, but never share.

Sometimes I look at what God has promised me, and it overwhelms me. The truth is I’ll never qualify for the calling Christ mandated over my life.  And as much as I try, I’ll never be able to fix my brokenness the way He can.

While I love to brag about what God has done for me, I don’t think I realize how self-conscious I still am about what God is doing in me.

The beautiful thing about Jesus is that He uses our present wounds and the scars and scabs from our past regrets. Human nature tells you that you have to be good enough for the calling, but salvation tells us that the cross makes you good enough for the calling.

We hear often that God gets the glory from our testimonies, but how much do we really believe it?


How can I trust God with the areas of my life that I still haven’t addressed? How can I trust God with a testimony that I’m not sure if I’ve even triumphed?

Psalms 147:3 He heals the brokenhearted
    and bandages their wounds.


That means that not only does God heal your present hurts, he treats the wounds from your past afflictions.  He knows everything about you, the areas you’re great in and the ones where you really suck. He knows hard you’ve been trying at this Christian thing…and he also knows how close you are to giving up. He knows what no one else knows, and guess what? He not only still loves you, but wants to heal you.

I wondered why Psalms 147:3 chooses to say ’bandages’. Why that word? Why not fix, or mend?

Well, a bandage is actually the best treatment for a wound. Some people argue that exposing a cut to air spends up its healing time, science says that’s a falsehood.

It’s the bandage on a cut that provides the perfect environment of isolation to encourage new cell generation and promotes faster healing without the visible scars.

So God not only wants to fix us, but he wants to fix us in the best possible way. God’s desire isn’t to expose the parts of you that are broken, otherwise, he wouldn’t have bandaged them. His heart towards you is to use those bandages to encourage others to get their healing.

But we still worry that people will say when they see our bandages.

My advice? Rock your messed up nature, don’t just brag about what God did, show what God is doing. Wear your bandages with honor because the greatest physician is on your case. The best doctor in the world is working it out for you. You’re the poster child of what real medicine can do.

Imagine all the people who need the cure you have, but don’t know where to get it because you’re still hiding your wounds.

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

all my love,
Obioma

So excited to be the face of one of my friend's amazing line: Virtuous woman. Honestly, Won't He Do it!

No comments